Tuesday, July 29, 2008

An Excerpt from Group 1, Session 1.




At the other end of the bar, Khiyra Greygilder carefully listened to the conversation between Ramsey and Arantxe. Ramsey seemed like a big, good-natured oaf, a personality type Khiyra was particularly drawn, not for comraderie, but for easy money.

Idiot. Talk a little louder about that purse you just acquired.

What?! That luscious woman is accepting his offer? I’m going to have to start wearing more leather…


He turned his attention to the newcomer that had sat down next to him moments ago. “What the hell? Er, I mean, hello.” Khiyra had seen some strange things in his day, some awful things, but nothing prepared him for the bizarre sight of a She-Half-Orc in plate mail with the symbol of Feix, God of Dwarves, on her breast.

What kind of strange world have I stumbled into. Confused, he decided to make the best out of a weird situation. He slowly sidled over to try a hand at lifting the big man’s pocket.

But just at that moment, Ramsey turned, “YOU!” he boomed.

“Er, me?”

“Yes. You. You look like you know how to handle yourself in a sticky situation. You heard my proposal to this magical midnight flower?” Ramsey said.

“What a kind and gracious description, Ramsey. I thank you, but I believe you are mistaken about my capabilities.” She touched his arm pointedly.

OUCH. She’s really amazing, thought Khiyra. “Uh, so yeah, what’s in this adventure for me?”

“300 gold split 3 ways, 4 if your tough-looking orc friend would like to join us,” Ramsey said.

“300 gold?” scoffed Khiyra. He tossed his head causing his sleek black hair to shimmer in the firelight.
What a strange sight, thought Arantxe as she looked at the two sitting across from her. Khiyra was a shifty looking character, and something about him, told her not entirely human. There was no question about the female next to him, she was a half-orc, an oddly introverted and demure one at that.

“My name is Arantxe. What is your name?” she asked, politely.

Startled to see she was being addressed, the Half-Orc knocked over her beer. “Girt,” she said. “I’ve come from Dwarven lands in the west and I’m seeking the Order of Feix so I can continue on His path.”

What the f---?, thought Khiyra. He decided to put the bizarre tale out of his mind. “Well, I think you’re getting taken for a ride, big guy. I wouldn’t have done that job so cheap. But this journey has some potential to expand my horizons, somewhat.” He looked pointedly at Arantxe.

“Done! I will meet you at dawn. Supply yourselves well! I must take my leave. I only sleep under the stars.” And with that Ramsey departed.

There was some small talk between the three at the bar. At one point, a stunning barmaid placed a bowl of berries in front of Arantxe, whispered in her ear and walked away.

Damn, do I have to compete with everyone in the inn! Khiyra, thought.
“So, you have a room for tonight?” Khiyra said.

“Yes,” said Arantxe.

“Well, since we’ll be working together it would be best if we slept together, too. Do you think I could share your room?”

“I suppose that would be fine,” I must tread carefully with this one. “Girt, May I also extend my hospitality to you as well?”

Girt, observing the situation carefully, consented.

“Excellent.” Arantxe suppressed a sigh of relief.

Yeah. She wants me, thought Khiyra.



The Fox and Her Beloved

The party awoke at the break of day and assembled in the bar. Arantxe generously shared some of her rations with Girt and Khiyra. Ramsey recommended that Girt and Khiyra purchase their own rations for the journey. Girt stocked up. Khiyra, who already carried rations, decided to continue with his opportunistic feeding strategy.

The party set out shortly after. They traveled quietly. The land around them was well cultivated plains with a patch of trees here and there. They passed farms surrounded by green seas of new wheat and here and there a vegetable garden. At midday they managed to come to a small copse of trees and here they saw a strange and disturbing site.

The corpse of a man was seated with his back propped up against the tree. He wore rough spun robes. His cowl was pulled back revealing a golden and curly beard. Stranger still was the fox that was sitting next to him.

“Anyone ever had fox meat?” asked Khiyra. Then, “Anyone mind if I shoot this fox so I can see what’s on this guy --- I mean see what could have possibly killed him?”

The fox growled, bared her teeth, and addressed Khiyra, “Why is one of the fair race here? What do you want of my Omadan that you would disturb him from his rest?”

Khiyra held his hands up and stepped back. “Whoa, talking fox. Not good.”

“This is a Druid. I can tell by his dress,” said Ramsey.

“What happened here?” asked Arantxe, who was a little nervous about a talking fox.

“Men came, terrible men with steel. They killed my Omadan. Oh, the noise was terrible!” Her ears quivered and she shook with the memory.

“When did this happen?”

“Three days ago.”

“Yeah, I’m really sorry about that. So, does Omadan keep anything of value with him? Can you move aside so I can look?” Khiyra asked.

“Back away from my Omadan!” shrieked the fox.

“Thoughtless!” boomed Ramsey as he threw Khiyra a menacing look. “Druids are well respected by my people. I would not have this body desecrated. Fox, may we give this body a proper burial?”

“Yes. If that’s what his people would do,” she replied.

“Then you won’t mind if I search the body?” asked Khiyra.

“I mind!” said Ramsey.

Arantxe was puzzled. These were mysterious circumstances. A fox guarding a druid? “Tell me why you are here with the druid?” She asked the fox.

“Yes,” Girt chimed in. “This is something I have never seen.” I can’t wait to tell this tale when I reach the Dwarven stronghold in the North!

“Omadan is mine and I am his,” said the fox dreamily. “He is my beloved.”

“OK,” said Arantxe. “How is that possible? It seemed strange that a fox would love a man.”

“And, uh. How does a fox LOVE a man?” asked Girt. A battle? Fox-man sex? I could be destined to win the annual Orf Stonehand Storytelling Tournament.

“Karre granted me a human body at night so Omadan and I could consummate our love,” explained the Fox.

“Interesting,” Arantxe said. Arantxe felt sympathy for the fox and wondered at Karre’s purpose. She pet the distressed creature’s soft red fur.

Ramsey was busy digging a grave. Khiyra was pacing and looking impatient. “So what are you going to do now?”

“I must stay with my beloved,” the Fox said.

“Won’t you starve?” asked Girt.
“I must stay with my beloved,” the Fox repeated.

Arantxe, not sure what to do, handed the Fox some rations. “I would like to walk off alone for a bit and offer a devotional to Karre. She is my Goddess.”

Khiyra suddenly looked interested. He watched Arantxe move off into the woods. Ramsey called out to him, “Help me place the body in the grave.”

The body was buried and Arantxe returned. Ramsey said a few clumsy words about tree worshippers.

The Fox curled up on the grave and tucked her nose into her tail. The party was readying to move on when they heard a rustling in the trees. Everyone tensed.
Out popped a man in plain robes. He carried little with him. He did not seem surprised to see them.
“Stand behind me, little lady. I will protect you from this ruffian,” said Ramsey. Arantxe moved behind Ramsey and placed her hand coquettishly on his shoulder, peeking around his big bicep at the scene in front of her.

“Who are you?” growled Ramsey. “Are you responsible for this man’s death? What happened here?”

“I do not know, barbarian. I’m just going down this road.” Said the man.

“Likely story,” said Ramsey. “Tell me. What happened here?”

“Honestly, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Foxes happen all the time in the woods. You see a fox, you think, “Hey, I’m like in the woods, man.” Why should this be strange, barbarian?” he said.

“What is your purpose here, then?” asked Ramsey.

“I told you. I’m just going down the road. Apparently in the same direction you are. We should travel together,” said the man.

“What are you about? We have every right to be suspicious. A man was killed here,” said Girt.

“I’m a cleric of Andro. I just came from a village a few miles away where I was preaching. My name is Nephon.”

“Sounds harmless. Let’s get out of here. The fox creeps me out,” said Khiyra.

And so the party went on, the scene with the fox weighing on their minds…



No comments: