Sunday, February 1, 2009

Serenity Part 2, Act I

The Companion and her friends left the Temple of Karre. It was indeed a beautiful night, marred only by Arantxe's irritability and three scruffy men leering at them as they walked down the street. Millicent felt greed and malice coming from the men. She shifted her hand under her cloak and rested it on the hilt of her dagger. Arantxe said under her breath, "Let's hurry back to the inn."

Once they were out of earshot of the men, Artanis said, "We should not return to the Temple, later. I do not have a good feeling about that course of action." Arantxe reluctantly agreed.

They reached the main road and had the inn in sight. A well-dressed man carrying a sack collided suddenly with Millicent. They could hear glass shattering as the sack made contact with the cobblestones. The man looked mortified. He quickly bent down to pick up the sack and revealed nothing but a collection of shards. He face turned red and he glared at Millicent.

"I thought elves had more grace! That was an antique worth over 100 gold pieces. You idiot!" he said.

"You walked into me," Millicent very calmly replied.

"Did you even look where you were going?" he demanded.

Arantxe whispered into Millicent's ear. "This is a scam. I've heard of this happening to tourists in Courte who go through the Warrens." At that moment, two garrison troops in full Courte regalia came around the corner and started wading through the crowd towards them. People stood aside for them, some with a nod and smile of recognition, others with contempt and scowl. Encouraged by this sight, Arantxe drew herself up to her full graceful height and turned to their accuser.

"Exactly whom do you think you are talking to?" she demanded.

"I'm Pennington. A respectable businessman in this town," he said. "I'm very well known."

'Well, I have never heard of you!" said Arantxe, haughtily. The soldiers came up behind Pennington. By this time, there was a large crowd encircling the party.

"What's the problem, here," one of the soldiers inquired.

"This stupid wench broke my vase," said Pennington, pointing at Millicent. "I was walking along the street - Tabart? Isn't it?" said the little man to the soldier. The soldier nodded. "Please continue, Mr. Pennington," said Tabart.

"Well, I was walking along the street and these drunken fools ran into me," Pennington said.

Tabart turned to Millicent. "Is this true?" he asked.

"No!" said Millicent, indignantly. "He ran into us. This is absurd!"

"Mr. Pennington, here, is a respectable antique dealer," explained Tabart pointedly.

Arantxe bristled. "Who are you? What are your names and ranks?" she demanded.

Tabart chuckled. "I am Legionnaire Tabart, and this is legionnaire Eas," he said very condescendingly.

"Who is your superior?" Arantxe asked, not put off at all by their behavior.

"That would be Commander Stan Gofton," Tabart replied.

"I know Gofton well," Arantxe lied. "We go way back."

Tabart rolled his eyes. "Look ladies," he snarled. "I don't have time to play these games. Pay Mr. Pennington for the damage to his goods, or it's the stocks for all of you..." Tabart got a dreamy look on his face and slumped to the ground, Eas going down with him. They began to snore loudly. Millicent brushed a strand of hair behind her head and looked around at the crowd that had gathered around them. "Wow, I guess we shouldn't be drinking the water around here, huh?" she laughed, nervously.

Pennington began to point at Millicent with a look of accusation, but Artanis moved between them. Gazing into the man's eyes she said quietly, "Pacify."

Pennington blinked, looked around and said, "What was I doing?"

Artanis said, "Oh, you dropped your packaged on the street."

He turned around and walked off with the package muttering to himself. The crowd started to disperse, occsasionally glancing at the sleeping soldiers and shaking their heads. Fortunately for Millicent, the people of Serenity know magic when they see it and generally give users a wide berth. There were a couple of men leaning against the lamp post watching the females, closely. Girt looked right at them and simultaneously caressed the handle of her axe.

"Let's cut down this alley by the Greystone and go in the back way," said Artanis. They followed her. As they neared the stable in the back they heard a shout, "Helloooo, ladies!"

They stopped and turned back toward the voice. The handsome centaur from earlier in the evening was leaning his human torso against the stable door. The lamplight made his hair glitter and his teeth sparkle. He took a swing from a large stein and nodded at them, "Pleasure seeing you again. Have you seen that elf friend of yours? The grumpy guy..."

"No, we are not aware of where he's at right now," said Artanis hastily. "But we'll tell him you are looking for him." Arantxe was not looking well and she thought perhaps she should get her upstairs and give her tea. Little did Artanis know that what Arantxe really wanted was a cognac and a bubble bath.

"Do that!" he said cheerily. "And come on back if you want to have a drink!" He winked at her. Artanis took that as a signal for immediate departure.

When they entered the inn, Millicent went directly to their room. Arantxe sat down at the bar and ordered a glass of wine. Artanis sat down beside her. Gorthag was sitting at the bar as well and greeted them heartily.

"Gorthag so happy to see you!" He belched loudly. Korrigidor then stumbled out of the crowd to stand next to Gorthag. "We learn so much, me and Korrigidor!" Gorthag said throwing his arm around his human friend.

"Can I buy you another, Gorthag?" asked Arantxe. "I'm sure the barkeep could mix some spirits and buttermilk--"

"NOOO!" said Gorthag, if possible turning greener than he actually was. "That make Gorthag sick."

"Tell us what you learned," said Artanis.

"Gorthag learn that war brewing in desert tribes in west. They come to attack Courte," he said. "Famine in Courte. Harvest is very bad. They are going to ration food."

"What else?" asked Arantxe, intensely.

"We heard the attack on Courte is somewhat imminent," Korrigidor said. "Now or in a couple of weeks. Easterners are plotting a coup on Courte."

"Well, that's not a surprise," Arantxe sighed.

"Gorthag think Courte no place to be right now." Gorthag shook his head, made himself dizzy, lost his balance and did a face plant on the bar.

Nim sauntered up. "There's nothing we can do about that right now. Best thing is to stock up and get out of here," he said. Then hesitating, he lowered his voice to a whisper. "Look, I do know the centaur and I need to go talk to him. I will discuss this with you later." And he walked off to the back of the inn.

1 comment:

mjcarsten@gmail.com said...

I am liking the team work of these four. i look forward to more!! - b