Sunday, January 18, 2009

Serenity Part 1, Act III

The four friends continued to the Temple of Karre. As they passed the Fortune Teller's Academy, Arantxe rolled her eyes. Millicent looked at Arantxe. "Are you not curious about the Fortune Teller's Academy?" she asked her. "Do they use real magic there?"

"Uh, no," said Arantxe. "Millicent, believe me. You have more magic in your pinky than that entire building."

"I know you are looking for mentors, Millicent, but this is not the place to seek them," said Artanis.

The Temple of Karre was a simple round stone structure. There were no sharp corners on the building anywhere. The windows were shaped like the symbol of Karre. Inside, there were soft mats on the floor surrounding a round indoor pool. The pool has many flowers floating on the surface and in the center of the pool stood a statue of a naked Karre rising from the water. A priestess of Karre was sitting by the pool. She was an older woman who appeared to be in her late fifties. She was tall and handsome with large bones, deep ebony skin and curly salt and pepper hair that she piled elegantly on her head. The priestess exuded strength, grace and wisdom. She extended her hands to the party and said, "Welcome. I am Constancia, priestess of Karre and keeper of her worship in action in Serenity."

"Salutations, Sister," said Arantxe, and lifted the priestesses hands to her lips.

"Salutations, Sister. I have not seen a Companion in these parts for many years," Constancia said with surprise.

"Why is that?" asked Arantxe as Constancia led the party to a mat by the pool. They all sat.

"There are not many reasons for a Companions to come to Serenity. There is no real power or wealth, so they stay in places better suited to their position in society."

Arantxe noticed that Constancia's mannerisms gave her away as a Companion. "When were you last at the Academy?" Arantxe asked.

"It has been 20 years since I was last in Courte," she said with a smile.

"You are not practicing in Serenity?" It was more a statement than a question.

"No," Constancia replied. "I take care of the women in town. They are whores, not Companions, but I train them and teach them what they need to know. You could say I am the dao shi for these women, a mentor and educator" she said.

"I have not seen a half-orc in my temple before, " she said to Girt, smiling warmly. "How are you and from where do you come?"

"Maybe we can talk another time, lady. First, I think our friend needs help," she nodded towards Arantxe. Arantxe smiled at Girt. "Girt is a great lady. I have high hopes for her. May she find Uztarri," said Arantxe. And she touched Girt's hand.

"Yes," said Constancia, her eyes glittering. "May Urgoth help you bring the halves together."

Millicent looked around. The place was very neat with little ornamentation. It seemed the sole purpose of the temple was to provide comfort.


Arantxe hesitated and then asked Constancia, "Can you explain what is happening to me? You see," continued Arantxe, in a rather embarrassed manner. "I have been in odd circumstances recently and away from Courte and the Guild. My normal devotions to Karre have been disrupted. I am confused. I believe I am on the right path and doing the right thing, but I don't know why or what shape this path is going to take. As dao shi, can you help guide me a bit in this?"

Constancia paused and gave this some thought. Then she said, "You have been under duress, sister? Has someone harmed you?"

"No! No one has harmed me, at least, not that I remember," said Arantxe, feeling a little awkward.

"What is a Companion doing so close to the wilds of the Cenmenoc? This is not a place for one such as yourself," asked Constancia.

Arantxe sighed. "It is really, really not, but there are circumstances that have led me here and to these people. I believe that I am carrying out the wishes of the Goddess," she said.

"I see," said Constancia. "How can I help you?"

"I honestly do not know," said Arantxe.

"Karre does not speak to me. I would not assume such closeness with her," said Constancia with surprise. "But you honor me by believing that I am so worthy a vessel." She studied Arantxe's face. She asked, "Karre has spoken to you?"

"I do not know what is going on," Arantxe replied cautiously.

"Is there anything you should tell me? Do you need a confessional?" asked Constancia.

"No. You have been very kind but for the time being this must be between me and Karre," Arantxe explained. "And, Andro, maybe."

"Andro," mused Constancia. This was all very strange. She decided that she must continue her role as hostess and priestess. "Would you like to eat and drink with me?" she asked Arantxe and her friends.

"Yes," said Arantxe, relieved that this conversation was over. "I have not shared a meal with a sister in quite some time."

"Aline!" Constancia called.

A young woman with long blond hair emerged from a door way at the back of the room. She carried a tray of fruit, nuts and cheeses. There was wine, water and milk to drink.

Constancia noticed that Artanis was looking at the food nervously. What have these people been through? she thought. She quickly remembered her state manners and ate off the plate herself and took Arantxe's cup and drank long and deep. Artanis looked relieved. Millicent still declined to drink.

Constancia watched Arantxe eat and then asked, "Would you stay here, Arantxe, with us?"

Arantxe took Constancia's hand. "That is very generous, but this is not my home. In fact, I am not sure where my home is now. And my instinct is to press on and let Karre guide me."

"But what place better than the Guild? Surely they can help you?" pressed Constancia.

"Things are complicated at the Guild and not as they should be," said Arantxe.

Constancia lifted a glass of wine to her lips and nodded with raised eyebrows. "They have not been good for a while."

"So where are you from Constancia, certainly not Courte?" asked Arantxe, desperate to change the subject.

She laughed. "I'm from the islands. Klovios, in fact. I came to Courte when I was very young and it was at a time when they still let people into the Academy who were not wealthy. I was grateful for the opportunity and the training, but I saw fit at a certain point in my life to leave it."

"As some do," said Arantxe. "One of the perks of the Academy is it can open doors to other opportunities. Unlike that place on up the street."

"What place?" asked Constancia.

"The Fortune Tellers," said Arantxe.

"OH!" and Constancia started to laugh. "Proiette is not so bad. They do have some fortune tellers there that are actually quite talented. Oh, it is silly when you go in there, but there are good people."

"Well, I know a few card tricks," said Arantxe, with unusual sarcasm.

"Yes, we have all learned our little tricks, well," Constancia said with a playful smile. "We are having a group devotional, tonight. Will you and your friends join us?"

Millicent said, "Do what you need to do Arantxe. If you need to stay here, we will stay with you."

"I think I would like to go back to the inn and take a bath. We may be back later." She lifted Constancia's hands to her lips and kissed her cheek. "Thank you for your kindness."

"I do hope for your return. There is a full moon, tonight. It should be lovely," said Constancia. As they rose to leave, she followed them to the door. "Girt," she said, laying a hand on her shoulder. "Do you partake in devotionals to Karre?"

"No. I follow Feix," Girt replied.

"Really!" said Constancia. "Well, we should talk about that some time. I would like to here your story."

No comments: