Midmorning, Sionel and Khiyra decided to enter Markindale. As they rode toward the city, they saw the crucified woman tied to the tree. She was still conscious, and as Khiyra noted, an attractive wench. They read the sign about thieves."What are you doing up there on that cross?" asked Khiyra.
"Yes. What has happened to you woman?" said Sionel.
"I got information," she said abruptly. "But I need to see some payment!"
"What?!" asked Khiyra. "We asked why you were up there, not to give us the floor plans for Finley's Palace."
"I'm not going to tell you anything, unless you let me down off this tree," said the woman.
"We just want to know what's befallen you," said Khiyra.
The woman ignored him. "Do you know what you are getting into here?"
Khiyra sighed. "Look," he said to Sionel. "She's crazy. Let's just go."
Sionel was not put off just yet. "Tell us what happened, so we can help you."
"Get me down, and I'll tell you what you need to know," she growled.
What an intolerable woman, thought Khiyra. Sionel got out her dagger and started cutting the woman down. He noticed Sionel was eyeing the woman lasciviously. Great. "So, look," Khiyra said. "We just saved your life. You owe us."
Sionel, knowing the sores of captivity, asked the woman again, "Why were you tied up there?"
"Well, me and my gang, we tried to pull off a heist. You've heard about the mayor, right?" she asked.
"No, we haven't heard anything," said Khiyra.
"Well, first give me some food. Then I'll tell you what you need to know," she said with a grin.
Sionel handed her some hard bread and cheese. "Ok, we've saved your life. We've fed you. Tell us what you know," Khiyra said impatiently. "Or I'll have my friend here, break you in half if you don't start talking."
"Yeah, speak woman," said Sionel.
"Me and my gang tried to get some gold. We got caught," she shrugged.
"But what about the mayor. You mentioned something about him," asked Khiyra.
"Well, yeah. I know where his gold is," she said.
"How much?" asked Khiyra.
"Enough to take care of all of us for a very long time," she said with a crooked smile.
"So what happened to the rest of your gang?" asked Khiyra.
"Filleted before these baby blue eyes," She batted her eyes sarcastically. "At least some of them. I'm assuming the rest met a similar fate."
Khiyra, ever suspicious and jaded, asked, "Why'd they spare you?"
"I don't know," she said. "to make an example of me, maybe. The mayor's men had some fun
trying out some now torture techniques, and then they stuck me out here."
"Are you a fighter," asked Sionel.
"You could say that," the woman replied. She stuck her thumbs in her belt.
"The question is Are you any use to us?" said Khiyra.
"I don't have weapons now. They took them," she said.
"Do you have skill with daggers?" asked Sionel.
"Yes, I do," the woman said smuggly. "I'm Farroe Marsh." And she extended her hand. "I was just passing through town with my gang, looking for action. Then we decided to stage a coup."
"How is stealing the Mayor's gold, a coup?" queried Sionel.
"Well, when you take the Mayor's gold, does he have any power left? When you slay his men, does he have any power left?" said Farroe. "Plan backfired though. Got me up on this tree and that's about it."
"Obviously, we can't be seen with you in town. We have some friends back down the road: a Centaur and some really weird broad with weird eyes," offered Khiyra.
"We will avenge you," said Sionel, fiercely.
"Was that pretentious snit of a guy with you people, too?" Farroe asked, suddenly. "Because he's in the town now, and he has no idea what he's up against."
Khiyra shook his head. "We don't know anything about that," he lied. "Why what's going on in the town?"
"Oh, you'll see," Farroe said, with the smug confidence of one with a secret. "I don't know if I trust you enough to tell you everything, yet. You all might try to sell me up the river or something when you get there."
"I give you my dagger as a token given in good faith," said Sionel.
"When you see the others, show them Sionel's dagger and tell them your story," said Khiyra.
"And who are these 'others' again?" asked Farroe.
"They're strange," said Khiyra. "You'll know them when you see them."
"Yeah, the Centaur is balding on top with a prodigious ale-belly," said Sionel. "Any other information you can give us before we enter the town?"
"I need guarantees before I give you any more information," said Farroe.
Sionel was aghast. "Hey, we've shown you good will here. We're letting you join our party. What else could you possibly want?"
"We'll talk when you get back," she said stubbornly.
"Let's move on. We'll deal with her later," said Khiyra, and he and Sionel headed towards town.
Farroe smiled as she watched them go. She flipped the blade, caught it smartly by the haft, and shoved it in her belt. Then she started down the road in search of a Centaur and a weird woman.
No comments:
Post a Comment